Tuesday, February 16, 2010

4 Steps to Character Development

Tweet It!
Bookmark and Share

We all realize one of the most critical components in the craft of writing any novel is its characters. Without effective characterization, the chance of penning a successful novel approaches zero. Therefore, I spend much of my writing time creating those people who will populate my manuscripts. Personally, I use a four-step process for developing my characters.
These four steps are:
1.     Summarize the type of character needed for the story
2.     Find a photo of that person
3.     Interview my main characters
4.     Review my character's reactions during the editing process
First, I jot down the basic characteristics I'll need for my hero, villain and any love interest. I focus more on their personality than physical characteristics and I try to envision how this person I'm creating will react to situations I already imagine will occur in the story.
I sort of feel this person out and makes notes as my mind wanders between the character and the story. Other writers fill in formal note cards or databases, many types of which you can find on the Internet. It matters not how you gather this information, but knowing my characters' personalities before I craft them helps me flesh them out as I write.
Next I locate, cut out and paste up photos of my characters. I physically mount their faces, and if necessary to the story, full body photos of my people. I pay very close attention to the look in their eyes, for I need specific personality types, and the eyes are the harbinger of this. I might take hours upon hours to find the perfect pictures, but when I have them, I paste these photos on a piece of poster board and keep it on my desk as I write. Early in the writing process, I refer to these photos often, especially when I write dialogue, which I think is one of the secrets to effective dialogue. As I become more familiar with the characters as individuals, I refer to their photos less and less, but still keep the mounting board on my desk as I write.  
Third, I interview my characters. Yes, it is a formal interview as if I'm speaking to someone for a magazine article. By now I've developed a basic storyline so I ask them questions that relate to my story. For example, in an early manuscript, my heroine learned her husband died in battle and she traveled to the field to find his remains. (It was common in the era in which I write.) So, I asked her, "Lorena, it's late at night and you've wandered over this horrid field with a lantern for hours. You've just found your husband, dead on the battlefield. How would you react to this?" I allow my instincts about this character to answer for me. If I don't get an answer that can translate into an effective scene, I consider altering the scene and/or characterization of this person. By the time I've reviewed most of my story's major plot points as they relate to my major characters, I've got a firm visualization of who my characters are and how I'll write about them in my manuscript.
Finally, as I edit my work I study how my characters reacted to the various situations in which I've placed them. Did they respond according to the  personality I've given them? Did they act as expected? If not, what has to change, the scene, the character or both? The situations in which my characters find themselves have often morphed into something quite different than I'd visualized in my first draft. I consider it imperative to insure my character's have adapted to these new situations in a fashion consistent with their personalities.
My manuscripts are character-driven and this four-step process insures those people I create mesh with my plot points and storyline without issue.
Are there other techniques or tips you use to create your characters? Let me know and I'll post them, with appropriate credit, of course.
Until then, I wish you only best-sellers.
C. Patrick Schulze


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment